“Obviously less people would exert less pressure on the natural resources,” Figueres answered, also noting that estimates suggest the Earth’s population will rise to nine billion by 2050.

Dalton then questioned whether that figure could in some way be stalled or halted.

“So is nine billion a forgone conclusion? That’s like baked in, done, no way to change that?” he asked Figueres.

“There is pressure in the system to go toward that; we can definitely change those, right? We can definitely change those numbers,” Figueres said in response.

“Really, we should make every effort to change those numbers because we are already, today, already exceeding the planet’s planetary carrying capacity.” she also claimed.

“So yes we should do everything possible. But we cannot fall into the very simplistic opinion of saying just by curtailing population then we’ve solved the problem. It is not either/or, it is an and/also.” the UN official also said.

Climate One is a self described public affairs forum which advocates extreme action to combat climate change.

Attachments
REBEL!

I wholeheartedly agree!!!  First to go would be Muslims, then felons and from there, make every criminal act a felony with an instant death penalty.   Yeah, I know......I'm sort of evil, aren't I?  I'm just so appalled at today's world!