The R in To Achieve Your Dreams Remember Your ABCs stands for "Read Study and Learn about everything important in your life." I contribute the ability to read to almost every positive factor and experience in my life.

According to the attached report from the Washington County Illiteracy:

WHAT WE KNOW ABOUT ILLITERACY IN AMERICA

·          As many as 23% of the  adult American population (40-44 million) is functionally illiterate (Level 1 according to the National Adult Literacy Survey), lacking basic skills beyond a fourth-grade level.

·          Illiteracy is widespread, a problem in every community, not limited to any race, region or socioeconomic class.

ILLITERACY AND ITS IMPACT ON THE ECONOMY

·          Adult illiteracy costs society an estimated $240 billion each year in lost industrial productivity, unrealized tax revenues, welfare, crime, poverty, and related social ills.

ILLITERACY AND HEALTH

·          Adults with low-level reading skills frequently suffer from health problems because the lack the ability to read medical directions, health-related literature or prescription labels. Chronic health conditions may go improperly monitored by patients who are functionally illiterate and the overall well-being of these individuals may worsen overtime causing frequent doctor or emergency room visits, hospitalization, or even death.

ILLITERACY AND THE WORKPLACE

·           According to the NALS, 40% of the labor force in the United States has limited skills.

·          American businesses lose more than $60 billion in productivity each year to employee’s lack of basic skills. (NALS)

ILLITERACY AND THE CRIMINAL JUSTICE SYSTEM

·          The rate of illiteracy in America’s correctional systems is over 60% (National Institutes of Health)

ILLITERACY AND AMERICA’S YOUTH

·          The saddest casualty of the illiteracy in America are the children who are affected by inter-generational illiteracy.

·          Children of disadvantaged parents begin their school life behind their peers. Parents with minimal or no reading skills often cannot provide the kind of support their children need to do well in school.

·          Analysis has shown a direct correlation between young people’s test scores and the grade level attained by their parents.

Sometimes I wonder who I would be and what life would be like if I could not read. It is hard to imagine and a very sad thought. Yet illiteracy is still a very major problem even in our country. Rather than looking for who to blame, the parents, the schools, the persons who don't care enough about reading to make sure they learn how, or society in general, lets look for solutions.

There are literacy councils easily found on line located in every state and there are also often times local councils related to a county or city. I suggest that those of us who love to read and understand how important it is to find a way to help. If we can't each volunteer to teach at least one person how to read in our lifetime maybe we can volunteer to spend a number of hours at a literacy center or donate to agencies that are dedicated to teaching others how to read. 

This is a gift that you can give not only to the person who learns to read but also to every life that person touches.

I have provided a few links to articles and facts about literacy below. 

Attachments